The ManicSlot Mini Review
- The 512 is a very popular classic slot, (collectible slot)
- Average 'from the box' performance
- Very high level of detail
- Stunning deep paint job
- Average to poor non-magnetic performer
- Will require significant adjustment to get running well
- Basic engineering and rubber
- No front axle, (the 512 has plastic stubs which can cause front wheels to drag)
- Models tend to be very noisy till well 'run in'
The Fly Ferrari 512 S is hands-down a beautiful looking slot car. Slot cars from the 1970s era of Le Mans are very popular with collectors making the 512 S highly sort after. Despite the performance flaws Fly slot cars can have, there is nothing a little bit of 'tweaking' can't fix - something you'll also find very rewarding.
Get one when you can, you can occasionally pick one up on ebay or from a slot forum for a fair price. There is nothing like seeing one of these on the track doing battle against a Fly Porsche 917K.
On another issue it will be interesting to see if Fly engineering levels and quality control can be improved under their new management and structure.
Return to the ManicSlot's Gallery Here